Tuesday, May 26, 2009

25 May

Yesterday (referring to the 25th) was totally nuts.  It was my busiest day yet in terms of work.  It was a lot of the familiar stuff - running errands, making trips to the post office, sorting files, etc...  I also was charged with making about 400 laminated "Festival Artist" passes, which took a long time.  At the end of the day, I got to go see a performance of Jon Fosse's Todesvariationen, a tragic play, at the Bergen theatre.  Fosse's plays are performed around the world, and this particular one was performed by a group from Zurich, so I got to see it in German.  The play was absolutely fantastic, and I would have to make it my second favorite play I've ever seen.  (First still goes to Shaffer's Equus, which I saw performed in Chapel Hill years ago.)  Anyway, today I am taking it a little easier, since this my last day in Bergen.  In a few hours I am going to go hiking in the mountains with a friend I met here.

Other than that, I have a lot of organizational stuff to take care of.  Exciting news: After making some calls using the phone here, I successfully reached the bus service in Stryn.  The sixth number to which I was referred finally landed me with someone who could answer my questions, and I know now that I will at least be able to make it to the campsite at the base of the mountain (180 ft).  From there, I will need to find someone with which to hitchhike to the Ski center (3600 ft.) where I will rent ski gear and take the ski lift to the top of the mountain (5200 ft.)  Finding a ride shouldn't be too tough because the Folven camp site pretty much exclusively serves skiers at the ski center.

All of this skiing business doesn't happen until June first, but I have to figure this stuff out now because I don't think my hostel in Flåm has internet access. So I might be going off the air for a few days. (I know you guys are all devastated.)

I'll leave you with a few pictures from the past day or two.

Sunset at 11:15

Backstage at Grieghallen before the showing of Bach's Johannespasjonen (St. John's Passion)

No comments:

Post a Comment