Thursday, June 4, 2009

3 June

Today was another big travel day. I awoke in Stryn in 8:15, had breakfast, and caught the three hour bus back to Otta, where I had a 5-hour layover. Fortunately, bus station layovers are better than airport layovers because in bus station layovers you aren't in an airport. The bus station was right in the middle of Otta, so I had a chance to walk around town a bit and grab a non-airport lunch. However, a hamburger with fries (no drink) from a place at the mall still costed me 18 dollars due to the whole being-in-Norway situation. Apparently most of Norway is twice as expensive as Sweden? (According to the guy running the Stryn Hostel)

After my long travel break, I caught a 3-hour train from Otta to Trondheim, Norway's fourth largest city. Trondheim was once the capital of Norway, and its cathedral is the largest in Scandinavia and the northernmost in the world. For most of the train ride we were traveling through a blizzard... which I guess isn't too odd, seeing as Trondheim is the farthest north I have ever been!

When I finally arrived in Trondheim it was 9 pm, and thankfully, it wasn't raining. I forgot to check online for directions to the hostel before I left Otta, so I had to make a quick reference in the train station to find out how to get to the Trondheim Vandrerjhem. Despite strict ordinances in Trondheim against street signs, I managed to find the hostel without too much difficulty. Again, there is a pretty good view. Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a tour of the city. It'll be my last full day in Norway!

Sunset, at 11:15 pm

12 AM. It doesn't get any darker than this.

1 comment:

  1. oh my! I'm glad you have such a good sense of direction in Norway that you were able to find your hostel. Pretty pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete